Farm Foundation Awards
R.J. Hildreth Public Policy Award
Recognizing those in the field of public policy, through government service, as educators, or those researching agricultural policy.
R.J. Hildreth Public Policy Award 2023 Recipient
Round Table Honorary Life Fellow Joe Outlaw, Regents Fellow, Professor, and Extension Economist, Texas A&M
Joe Outlaw, Ph.D., is a regents fellow, professor, and extension economist in the Department of Agricultural Economics at Texas A&M University. He also serves as the co-director of the Agricultural and Food Policy Center, AFPC, at the university. In this role, Outlaw frequently interacts with members of Congress and key agricultural committee staff to provide feedback on the likely consequences of agricultural policy changes. His extension education and applied research activities are focused on assessing the impacts of farm programs, risk management tools, renewable energy, and climate change legislation on U.S. agricultural operations. Outlaw has received numerous awards in excellence for his policy education. In 2015, he received the National Excellence in Extension award from the Extension Committee on Organization and Policy and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA for excellence in leadership, scholarship, and innovative programming.
Nominated by: Round Table Fellow Bradley Lubben, Extension Associate Professor, Policy Specialist, and Director, North Central Extension Risk Management Education Center
In the mid-1990s, Farm Foundation began awarding the R.J. Hildreth Award for Career Achievement in Public Policy, an award currently open to those in the field of public policy, through government service, as educators, or those researching agricultural policy.
R.J. Hildreth Public Policy Award Criteria+–
- A well-established career in public policy, research, or education
- Research or service has had a significant impact on policy or education
- Is a highly respected leader, researcher, teacher, and peer
- Work is often cited in research, media, and policy
- Candidate is considered an expert in their field
- Embodies the mission and vision of Farm Foundation through their work and contributions
R.J. Hildreth Public Policy Award Nomination Materials+–
- Nominee resume/CV
- At least one letter of support
Please submit materials into the nominations portal by no later than October 20, 2023.
Who Can I Contact for More Information?+–
For more information, please reach out to Farm Foundation Vice President of External Relations Tim Brennan.
- 2023: Joe Outlaw
- 2006: Keith Collins, James Christenson
- 2005: James L. Novak, David B. Patton
- 2004: Lynn R. Harvey
- 2003: Jeri P. Marxman, Georgia Stevens
- 2001: Neil Meyer, Katey Walker
- 2000: A.L. “Roy” Frederick, Barry Stryker, Warren L. Trock
- 1999: Harold M. Harris Jr., Philip Favero
- 1998: Barry Flinchbaugh , Ronald D. Knutson
- 1997: Ira L. Ellis, Ronald Faas, Alan J. Hahn, Irvin W. Skelton, W. Fred Woods
- 1996: Harold D. Guither, J. Paxton Marshall, L. Tim Wallace