Farm Foundation Awards
Farm Foundation Innovator of the Year Award
Recognizing a person, organization, or company for playing an integral part towards solving some of the most important challenges faced today in the agriculture and food industries.
The Farm Foundation Innovator of the Year Award 2023 Recipient
Philip “PJ” Haynie III, Owner/CEO, Haynie Farms/Arkansas River Rice
Philip “PJ” Haynie III is a fifth-generation farmer and owner of Haynie Farms, LLC, a grain farming business, producing corn, wheat, soybeans and canola throughout all four counties of the Northern Neck of Virginia. He also farms rice in Arkansas and owns Arkansas River Rice Mill, the only Black-owned rice mill in the country and which utilizes leading innovative processing technology. Haynie and his family also own and operate a transportation company specializing in food grade liquid bulk and dry bulk transportation, a timber harvesting company as well as a landscaping and excavating company. He also currently serves as chairman of the National Black Growers’ Council.
Nominated by: Round Table Fellow Ron Rainey, Ph.D., Professor and Center Director, University of Arkansas
The focus of this award is to recognize those change makers that are an integral part to solving some of the most influential challenges we face today in the agriculture and food industries.
Innovator of the Year Award Criteria+–
- The innovation’s benefits are clearly measurable by positive impacts within the food and agriculture sector
- Innovator identifies the overall value proposition of the innovative idea or project
- The innovation must impact more than one level of the supply chain from farmers to consumers
- Exhibits impact of strengthening the link between farmers and consumers
- Embodies the mission and vision of Farm Foundation through their work and contributions
Innovator of the Year Award Nomination Materials+–
Please provide the following for the Innovator of the Year award nomination packet:
- Contributions Summary: A bullet point summary of the significant contributions this individual, company, or organization has made to food and agriculture. You can also share a CV/Resume if nominating an individual.
- Supporting Letter: Provide at least one letter of support from a colleague who can share insight on the impact this nominee has made.
- Slide Deck Intro and/or Links to Video/Media Supporting Materials: Please share an intro slide deck and/or links to video or other media materials that showcase the innovative strategies and focus of the nominee.
Please note: Finalists will be asked to share a short two-minute video that shares their innovative approach. This video will be shown at the Farm Foundation Round Table Chairman’s Dinner in Denver, Colorado, on June 20, 2024.
Nominations materials should be submitted at the nomination portal no later than October 20, 2023.
Who Can I Contact With Questions?+–
For more information, please reach out to Farm Foundation Vice President of External Relations Tim Brennan.